(image and article information from ice.gov)
NEW YORK (77 WABC) – Officials from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) have announced that they have arrested 23 sexual predators during a six day period from October 28th through November 2nd on Long Island in their “Operation Sex Offender Alien Removal (SOAR)” initiative. Operation SOAR helped to apprehend 23 individuals with past criminal convictions ranging from sexual abuse to rape. Several of those taken into custody are registered sexual offenders and all are being detained pending their removal proceedings, criminal prosecution or the outright removal from the United States.
Some of the suspects that were arrested along with the communities in which they were found include:
- Wheatley Heights, LI: 37-year-old previously removed Honduran national and registered sexual offender (the victim was a 15-year-old child);
- Uniondale, LI: 52-year-old Jamaican national with a prior federal conviction for receiving material Involving the sexual exploitation of a minor;
- Manorville, LI: 43-year-old Honduran national with a prior conviction for rape 3rd: victim incapable of consent;
- Port Washington, LI: 21-year-old Guatemalan national who recently pleaded guilty to Attempted Forcible Touching;
- Brooklyn, NY: 41-year-old previously removed Salvadoran national with a prior convictions for sexual conduct against a child, for which a sentence of four years imprisonment was imposed, for forcible touching, and act in manner injure a child and for failure to register as a sexual offender;
- Manhattan (New York, NY): 41-year-old Egyptian national, released from NYPD custody three separate times in 2019 with an active detainer, who has multiple pending charges of forcible touching: subject victim to sexual contact on bus/train/subway;
- Mineola, LI: 48-year-old Portuguese national with a prior conviction of act in manner to injure a child;
- Hicksville, LI: 46-year-old Pakistani national with a prior conviction of criminal sexual act 3rd: victim less than 17 years old;
- Roosevelt, LI: 28-year-old Filipino national with a prior conviction for endangering the welfare of child;
- Huntington Station, LI: 34-year-old Salvadoran national with a prior conviction of act in manner to injure a child: victim less than 17 years old;
- Rocky Point, LI: 41-year-old Canadian national with a prior conviction of act in manner to injure a child: victim less than 17 years old;
- Brooklyn, NY: 23-year-old Dominican national previously convicted of rape 2nd: intercourse with person less than 15 years old, and act in manner injure child: victim less than 17 years old;
- Uniondale, LI: 53-year-old previously removed Honduran national with a prior conviction of sexual misconduct.
The arrestees include nationals from Canada, the Dominican Republic, Egypt, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Pakistan, Philippines, and Portugal. The arrests took place throughout multiple Long Island communities including: Mineola, Port Washington, Roosevelt, Uniondale, Brentwood, Central Islip, Copiague, Huntington Station, Manorville, Riverhead, Rocky Point, Wheatley Heights, and Wyandanch in addition to two arrests in Brooklyn and one each in the Bronx, Manhattan and Queens. The individuals arrested who currently have outstanding orders of removal are subject to immediate removal from the United States. The remaining individuals are in ICE custody awaiting a hearing before an immigration judge.